Toll Free: 800-625-6248 Divorce Post-Divorce Issues Grandparents' Rights

Contact Us

Law Office of James T. Cooper
108 Hills Plaza
Charleston, WV 25312-2438
Telephone: (304) 344-3542
Fax: (304)-344-3591
Toll Free: (800) 625-6248
Map and Directions

Grandparent's Rights

Charleston, West Virginia Family Law Attorney

Protecting Your Relationship With Your Grandchildren

If you have grandchildren, you want the best for them and the Law Office of James T. Cooper can help you do that. Grandparents' rights are a fairly new and developing area of law, giving some protections to the relationships between grandparents and grandchildren.

While parents are legally, primarily responsible for caring for their children, the law may be able to help you, based on the specific circumstances. Contact us to consult with an experienced attorney who can help you understand your rights.

Helping Custodial Grandparents Gain Legal Rights

Unfortunately, in some circumstances, parents are unfit to take care of their children, and the job gets passed on to the grandparents, who form bonds with the children and want to protect them.

If you are raising your grandchildren and concerned about protecting your relationship with them, we may be able to help you, especially if the children's parents are trying to reassert their rights while they are still unfit parents.

In many cases, such as school enrollment, grandparents need a court order before they have rights to make decisions on behalf of their grandchildren. We will make your case for you if you need to seek a court order.

A Lawyer for Grandparents Seeking Visitation

Normally, when children's parents divorce, the grandparents are able to work with the parents in order to stay involved in the children's lives. But in some circumstances, the grandparents and children have formed bonds that are threatened by new divorce arrangements.

In West Virginia, courts may grant visitation rights to grandparents based on what would be in the children's best interest. They are particularly likely to do so if a parent is deceased. We can be your advocate if you are seeking grandparent visitation.

Contact us at our convenient location in Charleston if you need legal advice and representation on grandparents' rights issues.

At the Law Office of James T. Cooper, we represent clients in Charleston, West Virginia, and throughout the region, including the communities of South Charleston, Madison, Logan, Danville, Teays Valley, Scott Depot, Hurricane, Dunbar, Winfield, Nitro, St. Albans, Huntington, Milton, Ripley, Williamson, Elkview, Clendenin, Parkersburg, Clay, Buffalo, Sutton, Flatwoods and Beckley; and other locations in Kanawha County, Putnam County, Cabell County, Boone County, Logan County, Mingo County, Fayette County, Raleigh County, Summers County, Braxton County, Wood County and Jackson County.

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, part of Thomson Reuters.