Toll Free: 800-625-6248 Divorce Post-Divorce Issues Grandparents' Rights

Contact Us

Law Office of James T. Cooper
108 Hills Plaza
Charleston, WV 25312-2438
Telephone: (304) 344-3542
Fax: (304)-344-3591
Toll Free: (800) 625-6248
Map and Directions

Parenting Issues

Charleston Family Law Attorney

Questions about child support, modifications or other parenting issues?

Parenting issues can be challenging in a divided family. Whether you have concerns about establishing child support, requesting a paternity test or relocating with your child to another state, our law firm can provide the personal support and experienced advice you need to get the matter resolved efficiently and effectively.

Contact the Law Office of James T. Cooper for down-to-earth legal counsel tailored to your needs.

  • Child Support : Child support is established according to West Virginia child support guidelines that take into consideration the income of both parents, the percentage of parenting time each parent has and the number of children being supported. However, deviations from the guidelines may be necessary to account for day care expenses, expenses in supporting other children and other critical issues.
  • Paternity : In some cases (such as custody or support cases involving a child born to unmarried parents), it may be necessary to legally establish paternity before any child support proceedings may commence or even before a father can petition for visitation or custody rights. We can assist in pursuing or contesting paternity actions.
  • Modifications : The court does not expect that a family court order or negotiated arrangement will last forever. When a significant change in circumstance arises, it may be necessary to revisit the previous order or arrangement. This is frequently the case when a child gets older and scheduling is limited, when a parent wishes to relocate/move-away, when a parent has a significant increase or decrease in income or when the child turns 18 or finishes high-school. We handle modifications of parenting plans (custody and visitation) as well as modification of child support.
  • Enforcement : When a parent fails to comply with child support orders or parenting arrangements, the parent is in contempt of court and can be held accountable. We can help you enforce an existing order or defend your interests if you are facing a contempt proceeding.

Whether you are facing parenting time disputes involving the other parent's failure to follow the agreed upon schedule or you have questions about modifying child support after your hours are cut at work, the Law Office of James T. Cooper can help. We have been serving the needs of families in Charleston, West Virginia, since 1970. We have what it takes to advocate for your interests, explain your rights under the law and resolve conflicts involving parenting issues.

We work hard to get the issues resolved in a way that is fair and works for you. Contact us to get help from a skilled family lawyer.

At the Law Office of James T. Cooper, we represent clients in Charleston, West Virginia, and throughout the region, including the communities of South Charleston, Madison, Logan, Danville, Teays Valley, Scott Depot, Hurricane, Dunbar, Winfield, Nitro, St. Albans, Huntington, Milton, Ripley, Williamson, Elkview, Clendenin, Parkersburg, Clay, Buffalo, Sutton, Flatwoods and Beckley; and other locations in Kanawha County, Putnam County, Cabell County, Boone County, Logan County, Mingo County, Fayette County, Raleigh County, Summers County, Braxton County, Wood County and Jackson County.

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, part of Thomson Reuters.